The Royal Yacht Britannia is celebrating the success of Executive Pastry Chef Stephen Espouy reaching the World Chocolate Masters 2017/18 pre-selections.
The World Chocolate Masters is hailed as the ‘most challenging and inspiring chocolate competition’ in the world of gastronomy, and the most prestigious to win for chocolate chefs.
On October 9 2017, Stephen will join five of the nation’s finest chocolatiers from the UK and Ireland competing to push the boundaries in chocolate creativity in the pre-selection round in London.
The winner will go on to compete against the most celebrated chocolate artisans from around the world and represent the UK and Ireland on a global stage, in a bid to be named World Chocolate Master at the Grand Final in October 2018.
The theme is ‘Futropolis’ – based on the growing phenomenon of mega cities. Using ‘Futropolis’ as a starting point, Stephen will experiment with flavours and textures to create a sculptural showpiece (The Futropolitan) which has to be made entirely from chocolate.
Stephen said, “To be competing in such a high level competition alongside some of the most talented chefs in the world is a huge honour both personally and professionally. Having grown up working on chocolate creations with my father, who was a baker and chocolatier, I learnt a huge amount from a young age and have honed my technical skills since taking on the role of Executive Pastry Chef working in the original Royal Galleys aboard Britannia. I am very much looking forward to competing with my fellow peers and seeing all the chocolate showpieces in October.”
The Royal Yacht Britannia and Stephen Espouy
Once a home to Her Majesty The Queen and the Royal Family, Britannia is now a 5 star evening events venue where the same high standards can be found on board today as when in Royal Service.
- Stephen joined The Royal Yacht Britannia in May 2015 from the Ritz Carlton Sharq Village & Spa, Qatar. Having previously worked in Kuwait, Ireland, Scotland, France and Australia Stephen returned to settle in Scotland and accepted the role of Executive Pastry Chef.
- Stephen is responsible for designing and making all the desserts, petit fours and chocolate delicacies that are served on board, as well as the dessert canapés for exclusive drinks receptions. Leading his team, Stephen oversees all cakes prepared for the Royal Deck Tea Room. Britannia’s on board bakery has recently expanded to include a brand new dedicated Pastry Galley.
- The Royal Yacht Britannia is owned by a charitable trust (SC028070) and all surplus funds are reinvested in protecting her for future generations.
- Click here for more information about Britannia.
- Click here for more information on the World Chocolate Masters.
For further information on Stephen Espouy or The Royal Yacht Britannia please contact
Jennifer Campbell, Press & Pr
+44 (0) 131 555 8800
Emma Aitken, Marketing Manager
+44 (0) 131 555 8800 or 07875 731262